The last year has been rough and I’m not talking about the pandemic and everything that has brought or caused. I mean for me personally. I have lost myself over the last year. I’ve put so much time into everything and everyone. I have become lazy. I have inadvertently not put in the time to take care of myself. Even when I try, it never lasts.
Okay first, let me explain. When I say I have become lazy, I mean with myself. I am still cleaning every day. Cooking everyday. Taking care of my kids and helping them succeed in distance learning. All the important things in my life that need to be taken care of. What I’m talking about is I’ve become lazy with me. I am all over the place with my self care. I rarely ever change out of sweatpants or put on makeup. Being stuck at home and having no need to do anything with myself has made me lazy with me. I need to change that for myself and my mental health.
I decided to do a 30 day challenge to find myself again. To get myself up early in the morning and workout. To boost my confidence and keep my mental health in check. To take better care of myself. To find myself again and never lose sight of that. Maybe this is silly. Maybe it will be pointless. Maybe it won’t even work. I won’t know until I try. I feel like I’m in a weird place and I think it’s because I’ve lost myself in the madness of the last year. I need to feel like me again so I can be the best I can be.
My 30 day challenge is more of a rough idea at this point. I’m sure the guidelines will change and be better defined as the next 30 days go on. Here is what it looks like right now:
- Skincare. Skincare isn’t optional. Find a routine that works for you and stick with it. Toner, moisturizer, wash your face everyday, serum, eye cream, face mask. Shave your face routinely (every 1-2 weeks). Ice roll at least a few times a week.
- Body care. Moisturize daily. Shave whenever you need to. Brush your hair every day. Stop putting your hair up wet. Drink more water. Eat healthier. Workout at least 3x a week. Exfoliate at least 2x a week.
- Daily. Get up earlier. Read more (finish that book you started almost a year ago). Do your hair and makeup. Dress for the job even though you aren’t leaving your house. Get to work and stop spending so much time “relaxing” in the morning (aka being lazy).
- Take breaks. Take breaks. You don’t have to work or clean constantly. Taking breaks is healthy for you, but also for your brain. Breaks give you a chance to recharge yourself. You work hard and deserve to take breaks.
- Say no. You don’t have to do everything for everyone all the time. It’s okay to say no when it’s not good for you or you need a break. It’s okay to say no, don’t feel bad about it.
- Make more time for you. Whatever that looks like, whatever that may be, make the time. Take the time to work on you, focus on you, and get you back to the you you need to be. It’s okay to take time for you. Nothing will fall apart if you take some time for you.
As you can see, it’s a very rough draft. I wrote these guidelines down knowing what I needed for myself. I needed that push to get started and start getting back to me. Start taking better care of me. Start working on me. I’m excited to get started and see what happens. See how defined the guidelines get. See how my daily routine changes. See the difference in my mental health. The best part….I’m doing this all for me. Come along with me if you’d like or try your own out and let me know how it goes. I’ll update in 30 days. As for now, I’m happily embracing day 1.